Updates

The time since my last post has been filled with tornado damage related things, as well as family celebrations and teaching my kids art classes.  Notice what's missing?  My own work.  It's been so long since I've done a project of my own, I almost don't rmember what it feels like!  I'll have to get back to it soon, since my first show of the season is Festival for the Eno on July 4th weekend, which is a mere 7 weeks away!


The jacket in progress, with two stamped patterns showing
The Art of the Auction Preview Party at the North Carolina Museum of Art was a lovely evening. As I wrote here, I was thrilled to learn that one of my shadow boxes was selected from over 400 entries for inclusion in the auction.   So of course, I had to have something simply fabulous to wear for the event to celebrate the artists!  My friend Debbie who is an expert seamstress collaborated with me on a handpainted kimono-style jacket.  It was a fun process, and I learned about working with Shiva Paintstiks on fabric.    After a bit of trial and error, I decided to cut a large rubber stamp, then rub the oil paint sticks across the surface of the fabric with the stamp underneath.  What resulted was a panel of color and pattern which looked like it had been printed. 
We chose one fabric and used both sides of it, along with a second fabric with a contrasting color and texture for the trim.  The jacket turned out beautifully, and I received many compliments on it.  (Thanks, Debbie!) 

Here I am, standing under my shadow box, and with Stan at the Preview Party.  It was a great time, and I hope Busara, Ancestress of Wisdom will bring in a good deal of money for the North Carolina Museum of Art Foundation.

The auction will be held at the Museum on Saturday, May 21.  Tickets are on sale here.  If that's not in your budget, you can see all of the items for both the live and silent auctions which are on display now in the Museum's East building.

Enjoy!

Comments

Michelle, it was such pure joy to work with you on your jacket. Thank you for the opportunity. You look as FABULOUS as you ARE!
Penny L Weaver said…
the jacket is beautiful (stunning work as always, ms. D!), as are your work and your spirit! best of luck on your participation in the NCMA auction - and the impending show season :-)