Demo Dilemma


My cut paper collage and mixed media ATC

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been preparing for two things almost simultaneously.  Firstly, this weekend I'll be presenting a demonstration at Art of the Carolinas, a 4-day extravaganza of art classes, art supply buying, and creativity.  At first, I wasn't sure I wanted to do a demo, or even what I would demonstrate. Even though I've taught and done demos before, I wondered what other mixed media artists would want to see.  So, I began to consider.


"Color Combos" page from my Strathmore Visual Journal





Our mixed media art guild sponsors a 'Make and Take' room at the event where we encourage everyone to come in, sit down, and create an Artist Trading Card (ATC) with us. This week, I've been creating ATC, which is not something I usually do, but I've enjoyed the process of making the format work within my usual style of painting.  I've also been working on a visual journal, which was provided to the Guild by Strathmore.  In it, I've been testing out some ideas for new bamboo bowls (you'll see why, below), and some color combinations for future projects.  While working on the ATC, I realized that cut paper collage, created with hand painted papers would be an ideal demo subject for me (amazing what happens when you just sit down and begin creating, isn't it?!). With this idea in mind, I'm now able to focus on what I want to present for the demo, and I'm looking forward to it.  If you're in Raleigh on Saturday evening, come by the North Raleigh Hilton; I'll be doing my demo at 6:00 in the Carolina Mixed Media Art Guild's Make and Take Room. 

Secondly, I'm creating new bamboo bowl wall hangings for my upcoming show during the month of January.  I've committed to exhibiting 22 wall hangings (!), and my plan is to have them all ready to go before Christmas.  I will also be recreating some designs which have sold, and it has been an interesting process.  I always tell people that no two of my pieces are exactly alike, and that's certainly true--even if I tried to do precisely the same thing, I don't think I could (or would want to, for that matter).   I'll be able to focus more fully upon both new and old designs once this weekend is over. 
Wishing you a creative, focused week.

Comments