New Work, Ghanaian Influence

 As I prepare for my spring and summer show season, I find myself creating work with sometimes strong and obvious, and sometimes more subtle references to my trip to Accra, Ghana late last year. 
My new mixed media on canvas series, "Reflections of Ghana" features images of people I encountered, framed by fabric I dyed (which was an adventure!), natural elements (shells, twigs), glass, bone, metal and paper beads, along with textured and silk screened clay pieces.

"Reflections of Ghana, Bead Maker"
 
"Reflections of Ghana, Basket Seller"


Continuing my "Jubilation Music" series, here are the newest iterations of the design, on 18" bamboo plates:  
"Jubilation Music 8"

"Jubilation Music 3"

And a new design, derived from my 'doodles' on my new iPad (thank you, Virginia Coleman!), which I've titled "Jazz Motif" on a 12" bamboo plate, influenced by the colors and patterns I observed almost everywhere I looked in Accra:

"Jazz Motif 1" 



I'm energized by this new work, and I hope that it will resonate with collectors past and future!  First up will be Artsplosure, Raleigh tomorrow...forecast calls for intermittent light rain...wish us luck and long breaks of drier (if not sunny) weather! 

Until next time,

Michelle

Comments