Experimentation: Finishing The Paper Domes

As a mixed media artist, I'm always seeking ways to combine the media I love working with.  In these experiments with my hand made paper domes, I'm combining painting, paper making, and polymer clay.  Here are the next stages of the process:
  This is the large dome, painted with Lumiere metallics.  The rough paper surface allows me to layer color upon color for interesting visual effects.  You can see the edge of the smaller dome at the left, with the polymer shapes applied.  


  After trying a couple of designs which didn't quite work, I've settled upon these circles and curved triangles (thanks to Rhonda Jones, of RJ Crafts for the cutters...she designs and sells some unusual shapes I hadn't been able to find anywhere else).  Here, I'm applying a coat of micaceous iron oxide to the baked polymer.  


Here are both finished domes (now you can really see the difference in size).  Are they actually finished?  'Not quite sure about that yet.  I do like the contrast between the paint colors and the dark, sparkling clay pieces, but we'll see if adding some mica powders to give them color will work with what I have in mind for them.  

As always, stay tuned!




Comments