Pondering Pinterest 1: Design Inspiration

Pinterest is many things.  A giant "time suck:" you visit the site to pin just one thing you like, and when you look up again, it's 2 hours later, and you have no idea how you got to the board you're currently viewing! Or, it's an indulgent, frivolous pastime, or, it's a place where people rip off the ideas of others. 

For me, Pinterest has been a great place to find inspiration to save for when I'm in need of a creative jump start. I've done extensive research on my art class projects there, and I also enjoy discovering new artists working in various media I don't.  I believe in being a good pinner, which means giving attribution to the artist (not just the person who pinned the image before I did), with name, title, and medium, and I'll often go out of my way to find that information to add to a pin. 

So I thought I'd share with you some of the artists I've discovered or rediscovered on Pinterest.  Go visit their websites, or their Pinterest boards (you might want to set a timer for yourself!).  I'll begin with my Design Inspiration board: 

Vicki Grant:  I've seen her work in person, in the Blue Spiral Gallery in Asheville, NC.  It's exquisite.  I love the textures, her color palette, her rhythmic, repeating shapes, her inclusion of natural materials.  I could go on forever!

Nellie Marks Nakamarra is an Aboriginal artist, and I'm inspired by her designs and the stories behind them.  And yes, I love the color palette, too. 

Carol D. Nelson:  another mixed media artist; I love the linear feel, the metal elements, and the sometimes surprising color combinations she uses. 

Have you found design inspiration on Pinterest?  If so, share please!


"Quilted Whimsies" by Vicki Grant
 


"Travelling Women"
by Elizabeth (Nellie) Marks Nakamarra


 
"Wheels Keep On Turnin'"
by Carol D. Nelson


Comments