Inspirational Weekend: Silver Fox Gallery

From Asheville, on our way home, we stopped in Hendersonville, NC.  Longtime Artventuring readers may recall this was where my last (and worst) gallery experience occurred, but we're not going to dwell on that!  If you care to, you can read the post about it here

The reason we went to Hendersonville was to visit the Silver Fox Gallery again.  On Main Street in the historic district, this fine craft gallery has been in business for over 8 years.  It is a veritable treasure trove, with three floors of exquisite things everywhere you look.  The gracious, friendly owner took the time to tell us about some of the work we admired, and as always, knowing the story "behind the scenes" of the work makes the experience all the richer.  Here's just a glimpse of what we saw:

"Love," by Natalie Blake
I am a longtime fan of Natalie Blake's work. I love her use of sgraffito, the funky shapes of her vessel tops, and her color sense speaks to my own. 

New to me was artist William Martin Jean, who works in painted paper.  I was immediately drawn to two pieces in his Kimono series, recognizing a kindred spirit in his use of pre-painted papers to construct the finished composition.  The image below is from his extensive website, and is similar to the ones I saw.

"Kimono VI," 2006
by William Martin Jean




"Quito," by Ron Artman
Ron Artman (great name for an artist, isn't it?!) works  in clay, and his forms are simple, elegant and evocative.  He also has an extensive website...a visit there is another visual treat. 


Interlocking End Table
by Andrew Muggleton


Silver Fox Gallery has an extensive collection of lighting and artisan furniture, and we saw many, many things we liked.  Andrew Muggleton's tables were fantastic; I could just see one of them in our entryway (just after the NC lottery win, that is!).  When you visit his site, notice his extremely cool monogram...appeals to my font-loving nature!  After viewing all of the  delights to be had at Silver Fox, it was time for us to make our way back home from our inspiring, creative weekend.  Now, back in the studio, I'm still feeling some of that creative energy, which is a good thing, since I'm working to finish pieces which will debut a week from tomorrow at our first show of the season, in Columbia, MD.

We'll be shooting photos of the new work this weekend, and I'll post some before we leave...I promise!

Comments

Thanks for the mention of Natalie's work. She also makes ceramic wall art tile. You can see her tile work at: www.unaluntile.com