Playdate Report: The Monoprint Day

Yesterday was my first day doing monoprints with the kids and parents at Marbles Kids Museum in Raleigh.  We had lots of fun swirling colors of acrylic paint around hard plastic plates, making designs, and pulling cool looking prints. After my quick demo for each group, we set them loose with their own plates, paints, paper, and texture tools. 

Later in the afternoon, it was time for the older kids to play with the the Gelli Arts Printing Plates.  As you know, I love my Gelli plate, and I was looking forward to seeing what the kids would do with this new, cool way of doing gelatin monoprinting.  Again, after my quick demo (stressing how sensitive the surface of the plate is "It's like the skin on your cheek...would you poke your cheek with something sharp?  No? Then you won't do it that on your Gelli plate either, right?!), the kids (all 22 at the same time!) eagerly painted their plates with soft brayers, used paintbrushes, daubers, sponges, texture tools and their fingers to make designs on the Gelli plate, and oohed and aahed as they pulled their prints. 

Below you'll see some of the results, and the smiling faces of two proud artists.  I think we've got some brand new Gelli plate devotees, and I can't wait to do this activity again next week!




Comments