Recent Creative Pursuits: CanvaSynergy

My lists, color palette, map, design plan and guidelines
for CanvaSynergy 2011
Our Carolina Mixed Media Art Guild often takes on creative challenges, and I set one for the group in August, called CanvaSynergy.  I'd seen a collaborative piece done by a group of painters, and thought we could add another dimension (literally!) to this idea.  So, with canvases and paint donated by our favorite art supply store, Jerry's Artarama, 25 member artists were given a 12"x12" canvas, one tube each of Soho Acrylic mineral blue, cadmium red medium hue, cadmium orange hue and burnt sienna, and a list of guidelines I'd prepared.  The guidelines included permission to use black and white in addition to the four colors of paint, and the encouragement to "showcase our mixed media marvelousness".  I'd drawn out a design on all 25 canvases--unfortunately, or fortunately, whichever way you want to look at it, there are no photos of the gyrations I performed to do this, at first on the floor (a bad idea, given how un-limber I am!), then on my dining room table (much easier on the knees!). Once the design was on all canvases, I assigned one canvas to each artist, and the challenge was on.  Members brought their finished canvases to our October meeting, and there was great excitement when they all came together.  The public, big reveal won't take place until next week at Art of the Carolinas.  Stan is building a framework which will house and display them all, and the finished collaborative piece will, we hope, be donated to a children's hospital.  My canvas is below, but you'll have to come to Art of the Carolinas next week to see the rest, or stay tuned--I'll post photos of the grand reveal after November 13th.

Comments

Penny L Weaver said…
Yet another fun and engaging challenge for the CMMAG! Thanks for shepherding this project through all the twists and turns that come along with something 'new' for a group this size. I am SO excited to see it on display at AOC!
Michelle said…
Yes, it was! I'm so glad it worked, and I hope we can make it an annual or biennial (I had to look that one up!) event. The grand reveal will be 'one for the record books,' for sure.