3.06.2010

Kindred Connections

When we last left our story, I was working on a new mirror design, inspired by a quilt I'd seen on Flickr.  The sneak peek of it, in its very early stages was this:
Here, many days and much angst later, is the finished piece: 'Kindred Connections I', which refers to my own heritage:  African American and Native American. Did I start out to create a piece which combined these two? No.  I realized what was happening about 4 days into the 5 day process (definitely the longest I've had since the infamous Guild challenge piece from last fall), and once I did, it became a bit easier to finish.  I often forget that when I'm confused about the direction I'm trying to take with a piece, I have to let it go where it will.  Forcing things to work never works.  But, when I let go of the process a bit, and become more open to the possibilities, things come together--often in ways I never "intended".    Below is a close up of one of the two polymer clay pieces.  It is textured, painted, and rubbed with PearlEx powders.  Attached to it is a multicolored feather with a metal swirl jewelry finding set on top.  I'm now inspired to create another in the series (this time without the blaring yellow which caused me much consternation!).  So stay tuned.      

5 comments:

Jeanne Rhea said...

Looks great! You should have never mentioned the yellow as I had not noticed the impact of it. ;-) Would you have used gold instead? I often find the same thing---just let the piece take you where it wants to go. Some pieces are not meant to be forced. Now why am I having a difficult time with my M4-T challenge piece? I've been waiting to be told what to do next---and it just is not happening! Everything I do, I change it as something does not fit the look I want. Time will be the most important part of how it turns out. It must be done by Thursday!

I think you are on a roll and I can see your African American and American Indian influence. So will be looking forward to the next piece.

Jillian said...

Gorgeous colors; not clear about the mirror? Is this a mirror?

Michelle said...

Yes, this is a mirror. For the purposes of taking the photo, I put a piece of black paper over the mirror. Confusing, I know. But, the reflection of my studio would've been even more so!

Ruth said...

These are stunning.

Michelle said...

Thanks Ruth, and thanks for stopping by.