Creative Assignments

Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post about getting out of a creative funk.  Since then, I've met with my jewelry designer friend, Marley Beers who is also in the same situation.  We compared notes, marveled at the fact that many artists we know are feeling the same way, and strategized ways we could pull each other out of it.  We decided to give each other creative "assignments;"things to work on, which will spark creativity. 

Mine to her was inspired by polymer jewelry I found on Flickr while helping out on a book project.  A note about the project:  Tejae Floyd, polymer artist extraordinaire, is compiling a book of photographs tentatively titled "365 Days of Polymer Clay" which will feature the work of polymer artists from around the world.  She's using Blurb, which is a great site where you can design and publish your own photo book.  I've used the service myself to design a book, and was very pleased with how easy it was to use, the cost, and the quick delivery.

The inspiration piece I suggested to Marley was this one, by Susan Waddington.  I think it's exquisite, and I love the combination of polymer, paint and resin.    Take a look through her online gallery and enjoy her mixed media jewelry.   She also has an Etsy shop, called PolyDogz Designs, where she features her dog paintings on jewelry.  
I think Marley saw something inspiring in this piece, and she's working on some new designs with her glass torch, and will perhaps work in silver too.  I'm glad I was able to help spark something for her, and I can't wait to see what she comes up with!

Marley's assignment to me suggested that I incorporate more than one mask or shadow box into a larger wall piece which also includes large painted areas, since she knows that my Ancestress Series masks are what I love to create.  I'm not convinced this is the way to go, reasoning that if people aren't responding to single masks, they probably won't go for multiple ones, but her idea of incorporating masks with painting started me thinking.  While working on Flickr, I came across some quilt artists whose work was very colorful and exciting, and it sparked an idea.  I'm fascinated by textiles, textures, and colors, but am 'sewing challenged'.  So, I wondered if I could do in paper and paint what quilt artists do in fabric?  That's what I'm working on now, and here's a sneak peek. 
I'm excited about a project for the first time in a long while. 
Time to get back to it.
More photos to come.

Comments

Jillian said…
Hi Michelle, why wasn't I invited? Although I have been quite creative lately, so shouldn't complain! Glad you two are challenging each other. On the fabric issue, totally understand, crave fabric and secretly hoard bits. Also HATE sewing, but have had success pasting fabric in a small way. I imagine there are lots of other artists with the same problem: how to use fabric without threading a needle or a sewing machine.... never mastered that particular skill. Let me know how you get on. Can't wait to see the results.
Jillian said…
Found a fiber/crafts lady in Apex, who has recently opened a studio. Julie Majkowski, www.makeityourownboutique.com
Check her out.