Featured Artist: Amy Goodman

Amy is a fellow member of the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy (PCAGOE), and her work is varied, vibrant and fun. Her Etsy shop is called Amy and Whelan (which she shares with her friend, Michelle Whelan)
Here are Amy's thoughts about her art:

1. What's your art form?
I'm not really sure. I have probably enjoyed drawing and painting the longest. I also enjoy the pleasure of making things with my hands, so I also work with polymer clay and various forms of needlecraft. I dabble in all sorts of other arts here and there, but those are my primaries.

2. When did you decide to pursue art, or did art pursue you?
I think art pursued me. I've enjoyed it as long as I can remember, but for some reason I tried to be an engineer. That was cool path too, but the art won out.

3. What other jobs have you had which have aided you on your creative path?
I don't think I've really had any jobs that have even related to my creative path, but they did help me figure out what what paths I didn't want to take. I think most of the help I have gotten has come from individuals like friends, family, and professors.

4. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?
Probably a mechanical engineer. I love art, but I also like utilizing the parts of my brain that engineering requires. It also requires a fair amount of creativity.

5. At the art supply store or website, which section do you go to first?
It varies depending on what I'm lusting after at the time. I don't have a lot of extra cash so I often go to stores or websites and just admire new things I particularly want.
Many times I am drawn to the areas where I have a lot of color choices all displayed together, like colored pencils or watercolors.

6. Where would you like your work to be a year from now?
I'd like to see improvement in my techniques and for there to be a more cohesive feel to my work. Right now it's all over the place. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, but I'd like to have more direction and focus.

7. If you could do anything, and knew you could not fail, what would you choose to do?
That's a tough one. I'm not sure. There are all sorts of things I would like to try, but right now I'm pretty much doing what I want. Or at least I'm trying to. Hopefully it works out.

Thanks, Amy!

Comments

Marcia P. said…
Great interview. Love the drawing Amy. You are certaily multi-talented. ♥

Marcia