1. Mother's Day was celebrated for the first time--yay, love those homemade cards and breakfast in bed!
2. The first ever beauty pageant was held in England--boo, hate those swimsuits, pumps and phony smiles!
3. The Sixteenth Amendment to US Constitution (which authorizes the Federal government to collect income taxes) is ratified--boo again, hate those forms, and having to pay!
4. The Ford Model T was introduced--and the drive-in movie wasn't far behind! LOL
5. Women compete in the Olympics for the first time--yay--about time!
6. The Chicago Cubs win the World Series--and not again since?
7. British suffragettes begin their campaign to secure the vote for women--and 100 years later, a woman could win the presidency.
8. African American author Richard Wright was born.
9. Oldtime comedians Imogene Coca and Milton Berle were born.
10. The Grand Canyon was designated as a National Monument
11. Jack Johnson becomes the first African American heavyweight boxing champion.
12. The Wright brothers won awards for the longest flights up to that point--"coffee, tea or me?" came much later!
13. A long-distance radio message is sent from the Eiffel Tower for the first time--and I'll bet wasn't: "Can you hear me now?"
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? List Thirteen things to make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! Join in here: Thursday Thirteen.