Merriam Webster defines a condiment as: something used to enhance the flavor of food; especially: a pungent seasoning.
1. ketchup: probably the most popular, in the US, and was even proposed as a vegetable in school lunches by the Reagan administration (it wasn't implemented, thank goodness, but see #9 below).
2. mayonnaise: Hellman's, or our southern brand Duke's NOT Miracle Whip (it's a miracle they can even call it mayonnaise, in my opinion).
3. mustard: Grey Poupon aside, for this Long Island girl, the best has always been Nathan's, on a foot-long dog, by the beach.
4. jam: Not jelly. I prefer my bread without the rips, thank you. And grape's the best, with black raspberry a very close second.
5. mint jelly: Don't we all have that small jar of it on the refrigerator door, left over from that leg of lamb we made one spring?!
6. relish: Not a favorite, but adds some kick to potato salad.
7. sauerkraut: Hated by my husband, and ruins a perfectly good Nathan's dog, in my opinion.
8. syrup: Maple's best, but don't you love going to IHOP and trying the other kinds?
9. salsa: The USDA "has decreed that school lunch programs can use salsa -- a spicy sauce usually made with tomatoes, peppers and onions -- in crafting a nutritionally balanced menu."
10. wasabi: A must for sushi, and sinus-clearing--number one in the pungent category!
11. soy sauce: An Asian food staple; so glad they've come out with the reduced sodium version.
12. barbecue sauce: Too many versions of this to list, the best are definitely pungent!
13. hot sauce: Ditto on too many versions and pungency, and what would Cajun, Mexican and Spanish food be without it?
Have a spicy day and weekend, and Happy TT!
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! Join in here: Thursday Thirteen.