Thursday Thirteen #12: 13 Joys of Art Teachers
12. You get to practice avoiding paper cuts, and when you don't, no one laughs at you for wearing decorated bandages.
11. You get to work with nostalgic art supplies such as Crayola crayons and Elmer's glue, and their distinctive smells, of course.
10. You get to explain why Picasso's people look so "funny" to a room of already giggling 8-year olds.
9. You get to witness the wonder of discovery when watercolor paint hits watercolor paper.
8. You get to be the 'cool teacher' when you give instructions on sewing...with "real needles"! (actual comment overheard after first class in American Girl Doll craft club!)
7. You get to show how, with just markers, water, glue and paper, kids can create beauty.
6. You get to be there when ideas like perspective, shading and overlapping make sense for the first time.
5. You get to show how a lump of clay can become anything a young mind can imagine.
4. You get to be reminded of why you became an artist yourself.
3. You get to spark imaginations, yours included.
2. You get to share your knowledge and love of art, artists and the creative process.
And, if you're lucky,
1. You get to be the person who encourages the next outstanding artistic talent to trust himself or herself enough to make art for the world to enjoy.
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! Join in here: Thursday Thirteen.