Learn, live, hope

"Tafiti, Man of Nobility" mask wall hanging 10"x10" polymer clay, acrylic paint, paper, wood

Saturday's show resulted in few sales due to extremely low attendance. The organizers had advertised for a month, but apparently that wasn't enough to generate a good crowd. I made two sales, and have a commissioned piece (similar to Tafiti, above) to complete before Christmas, so it wasn't a total loss.

The main reason I wanted to do the show at this local gallery space was to follow up on the possibility of having my work in an exhibition there sometime next year. I was able to do this with the woman who'd made the suggestion to me after she'd seen my display at a show in July. She said she hadn't received my email, and that they were scheduled until next fall. I told her I would be open to discussing how we could work together, and gave her my information again. I plan to follow up with her and with the director of the Center, by snail mail this time, to ensure it's received.

So, that's it for 2007 shows. It was a year of expansion--we did almost twice as many shows as last year; refinement--our new booth display came together this year; education--we now know what types of shows to keep on our list, and ones to avoid like the proverbial plague; and disappointment--sales were not what we'd hoped and planned for. Because of the experiences of this year, I will be actively seeking other marketing opportunities and different shows for the coming year.

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

Albert Einstein had the right idea; that's what I hope to do.

Comments