Thirteen November Facts
Since November is one of my least favorite months, I thought I'd try to come up with some reasons to like it. Here's what I came up with:
1. In Mexico, November 2nd is the Day of the Dead--sound like fun?
2. In the UK, November 4th is called Mischief Night--sounds like even more fun!
3. Artist Claude Monet, composer Aaron Copland, and Prince Charles were all born on
November 14th--not sure how they all relate; 'just thought it was interesting.
4. The first Thanksgiving was proclaimed by George Washington in 1789--and
tryptophan-induced stupors begin throughout the land.
5. The month of November is the official end of hurricane season--unless you're a hockey fan
in the Carolinas, of course.
6. On television, it's "sweeps month," which means your TiVo or DVR will be working
7. It's American Indian Heritage Month--I'd love to visit the Smithsonian's National Museum of the American Indian
8. It's also National Novel Writing Month--known as "nanowrimo"--see details here.
9. The Great American Smokeout is always the third Thursday of November--11/15 this year.
10. Thanksgiving this year is on the 22nd--see #4 for turkey-eating reference.
11. Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving--called that because of the rush to do holiday
shopping once the tryptophan has worn off.
12. Cyber Monday is the Monday following Thanksgiving--called that because of the rush to do
online holiday shopping at your desk following the long Thanksgiving weekend.
13. And, on November 30, 2004, Jeopardy's and television's all-time highest money winner,
Ken Jennings can't come up with the question "What is H&R Block?", so he leaves the show
Did those facts make you feel better about November? 'Hope so!
Happy November, and Happy TT!
THE PURPOSE BEHIND THE THURSDAY THIRTEEN:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. What do you do? Write Thirteen things about yourself, summarize your week in one entry, make it easy for other bloggers to get to know you on a weekly basis. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! Join in here: Thursday Thirteen.