Featured Artist: Marcia Palmer

I "met" Marcia on Etsy.com a few months ago, and have been a fan of her polymer clay work ever since. She's graciously agreed to answer my interview questions, and share some beautiful images of her creations--thanks, Marcia!

1. What is your art form?

That’s a good question. Do I have a form? That’s an even better question. Really, as I look at myself I see only a person exploring creativity with passion. So an "art form", as such, is not something I have given much thought to. Currently, the medium I am captured by is polymer clay. I have created jewelry, art for the home, wall hangings, and even dolls with polymer clay. I don’t believe I have settled on a particular form as yet. I am still searching for one that can hold all of my expressions.

2. What inspires you?

I find inspiration from people everywhere, so there is never a shortage of ideas or energy. I love to look at the work of many artists in many different mediums. I get so many ideas by admiring the wonderful creations of others. One thing leads to another and it’s never ending. I also find inspiration in the colorful cultures and artistry of people from around the world. This includes past and present cultural expressions.
In terms of design, I get excited when I see texture, color, and shape. Right now, I seem to find myself particularly drawn to “organic” and “earthy” feeling pieces. I think it’s the way texture is used in many of these “earthy” creations that speaks to me. I really love the energy of metallic colors like copper, bronze, and silver. Whenever I see a work of art made with copper I want to make something with that color right away!

3. When did you decide to pursue art, or did art pursue you?

Those lines are a little blurry for me. I have always liked to work with my hands. As a child I loved toys that had to be taken apart and put back together, like puzzles. It's just what I like to do. Art? I guess I would say that somewhere along the way we found each other.

4. How do you sell your work? If you use multiple methods, what's working the best?

I am pretty new to selling my work in any consistent manner. In the past, I have sold mostly to family, friends, and coworkers, who have always supported my work and encouraged me. Just this year I have ventured into online selling. I have a shop Etsy, "Your place to buy and sell all things handmade". So far, my experience there has been very positive. I am learning new things everyday.

5. Do you title your work? If so, how do you decide upon titles?

Sometimes I title my work. A title usually comes to me after the work is complete. If it has a feeling that reminds me of something I will give it a title to reflect that. Other times the title will just be descriptive of the piece itself.

6. If you weren't an artist, what would you be?

I think everyone is an artist. With everything I do I find it is always better and more fulfilling if I go about it with passion and intensity. At least I try to. When you can do that anything can be raised to the level of an art. Life is such wonderful art and I am just grateful to be part of it. So, no matter what I do I will be an artist!

7. What other jobs have you had which have aided you on your artistic path?

I think being a wife, mother, and family member has been the foundation of my artistic path. Relationships have been the vehicle by which I continue to look deeply into myself, others, and the things around me. I think these experiences give me the freedom to be creative, to be me.

8. At the art supply store or site, which section do you go to first?

The section with polymer clay, of course. Otherwise many of the wonderful and unique supplies I like I now find online.

9. What new technique or art form would you like to learn? Do you have plans to do so?

Every time I visit an arts and craft show I end up buying pottery or ceramic pieces. I always intend to buy something else, but I end up leaving with at least one piece of pottery. I would love to learn how to make pottery. It's in the plans, with so many other things.

10. Where do you want your work to be a year from now?

I would love to be teaching workshops. Teaching and sharing excite me. I think teaching helps you to grow. Maybe I will get an opportunity to do that on some level within the next year.

11. What advice have you received which has helped you the most?

Create a space where you can "touch" you work everyday. I may not be working on a project everyday, but in some way I deal with my work daily. This was not possible until I converted my daughter’s old bedroom into a studio. This really helped me to let the creative juice flow freely. When I was able to “touch” my work in some way everyday I really began to see progress that was satisfying for me.


12. If you could do anything, and knew you could not fail, what would you choose to do?

Find a quiet beautiful place, surrounded by the people I love, and create, create, create! If I take a closer look I may already be there.

Comments

papernclay said…
You are truly an inspiration Marcia!